Serving Injured Clients Throughout Wisconsin. Experience You Can Trust.

What if I’m injured in an accident by an uninsured motorist?

On Behalf of | Aug 16, 2022 | Personal Injury

When you’re injured in a car accident, the physical pain of your injury and recovery are not the only challenge you may have to deal with. You can end up in financial trouble as well, unable to work for an extended period of time and facing medical bills that insurance didn’t cover. This is especially true if the driver at fault was uninsured or underinsured.

How does uninsured/underinsured coverage work?

Wisconsin requires every driver to have uninsured motorist coverage. Typically, when you’re in an accident caused by another driver, the insurance of the other driver pays for your injuries. But if that driver is uninsured, your uninsured motorist coverage takes over and picks up the bill.

Underinsured coverage works similarly but is not required by law. If the other driver has insurance, but it’s insufficient to cover the damages from the accident, your underinsured motorist coverage makes up the difference. But what if neither form of coverage is enough?

Personal injury lawsuits

Although Wisconsin requires uninsured motorist coverage, the limit of that requirement is only $25,000. When your car accident is serious and your injuries are severe, that likely won’t be enough to cover your losses. Medical bills pile up fast and you may be out of work for an extended period.

When neither uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage is enough, your best option is to file a personal injury lawsuit. They exist so that you can be made whole again, by receiving the compensation to which you are entitled. It’s a powerful tool at your disposal when insurance is not enough.